OJPC has 3 vacancies:
- Full Time Communications Manager (applications now closed; candidates under review);
- Part-Time Scripps Howard Internship (applications now closed; candidates interviewed);
- Full Time Paralegal for Second Chance Clinic (position being re-advertised! open for applications until Friday, 15 Dec 2017. Details below.).
Paralegal for Second Chance Clinic
The Ohio Justice & Policy Center is a nonprofit public interest law firm that creates fair, intelligent, and redemptive criminal justice systems. We achieve our mission through client-centered advocacy, innovative policy reform, and cross-sector community education. We focus our energies on reducing the size of the prison system, improving conditions for those in prison, and expanding the freedom of people with criminal records. We are based in Cincinnati, Ohio, and our work is statewide.
What we are looking for
Second Chance Project is a dynamic, fast-paced team. We serve the needs of 400-500 individual clients annually and tackle systems change through policy and litigation.
- Do you find yourself questioning systems and standing up for people who may not have a voice?
- Are you committed to racial justice and equity in the criminal justice system?
- Do you enjoy working one-on-one with clients as much as you enjoy researching and writing?
- Are you adaptable, resourceful and able to quickly pivot to “get it done”?
If you answered yes to the questions above, keep reading! This position may be for you!
- Meet with clients to identify and address legal issues that directly and/or indirectly impact employment.
- Work with community legal and reentry organizations to understand services available for individuals with criminal records.
- Assist individuals in overcoming legal barriers by: providing information/resources; providing direct assistance under the supervision of an attorney; researching general legal issues, court records, and legal websites, and referring clients to appropriate organization; and other strategies as needed.
- Assist with client intake and support OJPC’s Second Chance Clinic services.
- Facilitate weekly Legal Services module during Cincinnati Works workshops.
- Conduct general litigation support services.
- Advocate on public policy related to the criminal justice system.
Administrative and Other Functions
- Complete referral paperwork regarding legal issues.
- Assist all staff attorneys to review, analyze, and organize documents.
- Find, review, and discuss police reports / criminal records.
- Prepare data for funding and operational reports as necessary.
- Update databases with comments related to status of clients’ legal issues.
- Track resolution of issues.
- Attend workshops, seminars and meetings on common legal issues, including Cincinnati Works’ Legal Advisory Committee meetings.
- Refer client to proper staff/other organizations.
- Problem Solving/Analysis
- Teamwork Orientation
- High level of communication skills and interpersonal skills
- Personal Initiative
- Personal Effectiveness/Credibility
- Business Acumen
- Technical Capacity
- Associate’s degree or 1-2 years of related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office software, specifically Word and Outlook.
- Ability to perform research using the internet.
- Additional experience that would make you an even stronger candidate:
- Paralegal certification and/or Bachelor’s degree.
- Legal research experience, certification, or coursework.
- Knowledge of additional Microsoft Office software, such as Excel and PowerPoint.
- Knowledge of specific legal software such as Legal Files.
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals.
- Knowledge or experience with legal barriers including expungement, child support, bankruptcy, housing issues, employment, protection orders, social security, consumer issues (e.g. hospital bills), county work support benefits (e.g. food stamps OWF or medical assistance)
- Knowledge about explaining criminal records to potential employers.
Details about the position
$32,000+ salary based on experience and qualifications. Competitive benefits package, including employer-matched IRA.
We intend to have this position filled by January 16, 2018.
OJPC is an equal opportunity employer. People from historically disadvantaged groups, based on race, ethnicity, religion, gender, or sexual orientation, are strongly encouraged to apply.
How to apply
Send a cover letter, résumé and a writing sample, all as PDFs, to OJPC’s Operations Manager, Devorah Waesch at email@example.com.
Applications will be accepted until December 15, 2017.