Indicators of Trafficking
Many victims do not self-identify as victims. If any of these apply to you or someone you know, contact Sasha Naiman (firstname.lastname@example.org or 513-421-1108 x 20) for help with expungement.
These are some questions to ask when considering whether expungement, under the Safe Harbor Law, may apply to a criminal record.
- Did anyone ever pressure you to engage in any sexual acts against your will?
- Did anyone ever force or pressure you to engage in sexual acts with friends or business associates?
- Did anyone ever take photos or videos of you and if so, what did they use them for? Were these photos ever sent out or posted online?
- Were you required to earn a certain amount of money/meet a nightly quota by engaging in commercial sex for someone? What happened if you did not meet this quota?
- How old were you when you were in this situation?
- Were you ever transported to different locations to engage in commercial sex? Where were you taken and who transported you?
- Who decided whether or not you used a condom during sex acts?
- How did you meet your [boyfriend/pimp/controller]?
- Did the controller set up appointments for you at hotels or tell you which streets to work on?
- Did the controller tell you when you had to start ‘working’ and when you could stop?
- Did you keep all the money you made? If not, who took it?
- Did the controller move you around to different locations?
- Did your controller/pimp/partner/family member ever ask you to engage in commercial sexual acts in order to “help the relationship/the family”?
Being recruited, lured, enticed
- Were you told false promises concerning the nature and conditions of your work, interaction, housing, etc?
- Were you offered free or low-cost housing, clothes, drugs, or other gifts initially?
- Was there a friend, pimp, manager, “boyfriend”, or family member who first suggest that you make money through commercial sex?
Working and living environment
- What was your working or living conditions like? Was it what you had expected?
- Could you change or leave your job or living situation if you wanted?
- Could you come and go as you please?
- Where do you sleep and eat? Do you sleep in a bed, on a cot or on the floor? Did you live with co-workers and “employer” ? Was
- there privacy?
- Were you unpaid, paid very little, or paid only through tips?
- Were you free to take time off?
- Did you work for days or weeks without a break? Were there excessively long and/or unusual hours?
- Were you monitored or unusually restricted? Were there high security measures in the work and/or living locations (e.g. opaque windows, boarded up windows, bars on windows, barbed wire, security cameras, etc.)?
- Were you moved or rotated to different establishments?
Physical harm and restraints
- Have you been physically harmed in any way? Hit, slapped, punched, kicked, strangled?
- Do you have scars, burns, or other physical marks caused by the pimp/boyfriend/friend?
- Have you ever been deprived of food, water, sleep or medical care?
- Did you have to ask permission to eat, sleep or go to the bathroom?
- Were there locks on your doors and windows so you cannot get out?
- Has your identification or documentation been taken from you?
- Is anyone forcing you to do anything that you do not want to do?
- Did you ever have to suffer any untreated illnesses and infections? Did you have to get permission to seek medical help?
- Were you ever pressured to terminate a pregnancy?
- Were you forced or pressured to use drugs, e.g., so you would work longer without breaks or so you would comply with the controller’s demands? Were drugs/addiction a means of control?
- Was sexual violence normalized?
- Were you ever confined, locked in a room, or denied access to your home?
Physiological/emotional harm and restraint
- What would you be told if you indicated that you did not want to engage in commercial sex or did not do what the controller asked you to do?
- Have you been threatened if you try to leave?
- Has anyone threatened your family or pets?
- Did you feel fear, duress, or intimidation?
- Did you feel depression, anxiety, the need to be submissive, constant tension, nervousness?
- Did you comply or not seek help because of fear?
- Were you humiliated in front of others by the controller?
- Were you called names?
- Were you told that the controller is the only person who cares for you or is the only person who would support you?
- Did the controller make light of the abuse or exploitation?
- Did the controller deny that anything illegal, abusive, or exploitive was happening?
- Were you blamed for the situation, the abuse, etc?
- Have you ever seen any other person being physically harmed by the controller or anybody else?
- Did the controller use or display weapons?
Isolation, monitoring, and lack of control
- Were you restricted from seeking help?
- Did you get to keep your identification documents?
- Were you rarely alone? Did you feel like you were under constant surveillance?
- Were you accompanied when you went outside, to the store, or to the doctor?
- Could you see your children, family, and friends as you pleased?
- Were you coached on how to speak to police?
- Did you have few or no personal possessions? Did you share clothes, beds, or personal care items?
- Were you in control of your own money, no financial records, bank account, or identification documents (ID or passport)?
- Were you not allowed or able to speak for yourself in certain circumstances?
- Did anyone ever withhold financial support when you disobeyed?
- Did you feel like you always owed money to the controller for housing, drugs, etc – that could never be repaid?
- Did someone take the money you earned?
- Did someone take over your bank accounts or use your checks/accounts without your permission?
- Were you denied access to finances or given only a small allowance?